Saturday 9 February 2008

At the Speed of Light!

Lordy! How fast can the days go by?
I didn't even get to wish anyone a Happy February and it was past the time when Punxatawny Phil was to prognosticate the coming of Spring ( Or 6 more weeks of winter- which was the case this year... good Phil! ) - we missed it by a mere 20 mins or so- but in our time it was *late* in the pm of the 3rd of Feb!
I still didn't get photos taken of my alapaca fluff ( I think the site is back up though- tizteazles.com ) - and have now worked and FINISHED ( woo hoo! nothing like a 'deadline' [I prefer to call them finish lines] to keep you moving ) an art yarn contribution to the "Circle of Wagons" spin Challenge issued by Pluckyfluff to benefit a sick friend in Florida, USA named Holly ( or HollyEQQ) who happens to be a very good friend of my friend Mandie of Ewe Give Me the Knits!

I will give more details on what I am talking about soon- but for now want to try to get photos downloaded on my blog so you can see the yarn before the challenge is over! ( Ends Feb. 9, 2008 in USA time for entries, but voting is the next day....).
All entries are available for viewing at The Yarn Museum and voting for your 'favourite' is at Pluckyfluff's Blog on Sunday the 10th of Feb,2008.
Then all the yarns created are going up for auction at Sandy's website ( another friend in the USA ) with the money raised to be given to Holly to help with her expenses to get well again!

The 'theme' was "Circle the Wagons" - which is the phrase being used to show Holly how we fibre folks ( and everyone who loves them!) are bringing ourselves all in a circle to help her 'defend/fend off ' her illness. Just like the Pioneers of yesteryear did against threats to their wagon trains and their well-being. Hope I explained that right/ well enough.
I think it is an awesome effort and am glad to be a part of it all.
There is lots to see and buy at Sandy's website to help Holly. Please go take a look!

So here is my entry:


This is my first attempt at 'Art Yarn' and found it to be challenging yet fun!
I've named the yarn "Smoke Signals for Holly"- messages of health and well being sent to her from the fibre community- even all the way from Australia!
The first singles is a 100% merino roving that was dyed by Mandie of Ewe Give Me The Knits!, then for the the plying singles I've used shades of brown wool which represent the wood of the fire & of the wagons, as well as the earth- then added in some polar fleece 'indian blankets", white wool for puffs of smoke, and some cantalope ( Rockmelon) coloured merino for the 'lick of fire' . ( Don't worry - I always put the smoke puffs between the 'fire' and the blankets! lol!)
It's over 63 yds. / 57 mtrs and weighs 2.25 oz/ 65 grms.

and here are some other photos of it, to give a better view:

Two of the 'raw' ingredients:


While it is still on the niddy noddy, waiting to then be measured and weighed:




By RJB's wagon:

The finished 'artwork':



and here is RJB posing with the ingredients...

( hey- had to get him in here somehow-right? LOL! He has decided every photo being taken really should have him in it somehow! lol)

Thanks for looking- if you see this in time- go vote for mine!

Hope you are WELL.

3 comments:

Rosie said...

I love your description of the yarn you made for Holly - very appropriate!

The little Indian blankets are so cute, and the boy sitting on the blanket is cute also.

My Five Sons said...

Its very appropriate for Holly,I think you ve done a great job!!

Crystal said...

Wow! I can tell a lot of thought and care went into this design and resultant art yarn. And it all makes sense when you describe what you are representing to a novice (to put it mildly) like me.

Fabulous job, Sharon! I can't wait to vote.

And, oops, sorry I forgot to mention about P. Phil's results this year. One week down, five to go and it's snowing today!